Friday 20 March 2009

Spring is here

We have had a couple of lovely Spring days so I lost no time in getting out into the garden and mucking about. I have now planted the raspberry canes. I went a bit mad and not only double-dug the plot but also knocked up a small raised bed for the raspberries.


The seedlings are going well. Jake's corn and tomatoes and carrots have germinated although in a haphazard fashion! I will have to make a separate little plot for his produce :-).

I ordered a giant eco-green growing tunnel with a fine green tinted mesh to keep out the nasties and have marked out a new plot. I also want to order the same tunnel but with a polythene cover to grow the aubergines as they need plenty of warmth.

The slugs are back and made a nice meal out of the brocolli. I've bought some bell cloches to protected them while they are small and a slug trap. I will also order some nematodes and treat all the raised beds and plots.

Looking at my little plot now I can see it is slowly filling up and it is only a matter of time before I run out of space! I would like to get a couple of chickens too. A friend told me I needed 1 sq metre per chicken so I'm not sure where I would put them. This is the problem when you don't design your plot beforehand. In my case it has grown organically as and when I've decided to grow more.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails